Ask the questions …
- Does the application need this level of technology?
- Will it make us OEM dependant?
- Do we have staff trained to maintain, make minor modifications?
- Is the system cost effectively expandable? Does it really need to be expandable?
- Will we have access to ALL programs, documentation, needed software?
- Will the project require ongoing support cost? How Much?
- Is the process secure from malicious abuse? (Can it be easily accessed remotely by unauthorized persons?)
- What is the turnaround time to get on-site service tech? At what cost?
“Vendor refuses to provide schematics or documented PLC program so we can troubleshoot in-house.”
“It takes 3 days to a week to get service tech in to troubleshoot.”
“Someone got into our machine via the phone modem connected to machine, and corrupted the program, shutting us down.”
“We are trained on PLCs, but the vendor used a PAC to control with C++, now we need a computer programmer to troubleshoot and modify.”
Don (Follow me on Industrial Skills Training Blog and on Twitter @IndTraining .)